Friday, August 28, 2009

My Niece Emily's 5th Birthday Cake

In preparation for making the Fairy cake for my niece I needed to make a whole lot of flowers out of Royal Icing. About 300 flowers. I also made tree's out of sugar cones and royal icing. With a baby this took a couple of days to complete. There were pink, yellow, blue, teal, purple, peach, Burgundy and white flowers. Below is the preparation pictures.








Then came the day to actually make the cake. I had to use 5 cake mixes and double each layer to get the effect that I wanted. I know that's a lot of cake right, but my brother-in-law said to bring it on. It was filled with Strawberry filling. Problems I encountered that day were the following: In my haste I made the frosting a little too thin so I had trouble frosting at first, I forgot to put frosting between the top and bottom layer so the cake was very wobbly and I ended up having to put supports in the cake, I forgot to bring my nice cake leveler from home and so the top layer was a tiny bit off. Driving from my parents house to my sister's house was a nightmare. There were so many hills and bumps. It was so hot that day that when I arrived to my sister's house and took the cake out of the car, the frosting had melted off the cake in places and i had to fix it (and it never looked the same)!


Here is pictures before my "Melt" down!










Emily Loved her cake. (even though it was falling apart) All the kids thought it was super cool, and Me, well I was pretty happy with it as well.

P.S - There ended up being 216 flowers on the cake!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

B-E-A-utiful!!

LORI said...

and it was delicious! We loved it and Emily wishes we had more (although David and I are totally sick of cake now and the "cake" for my birthday ended up being just ice cream so we didn't get sick)